oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE Request: jabberd remote information disclosure

From: Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:21:39 +0200

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:16:38 -0500 (EST)
cve-assign () mitre org wrote:

If the data ends with an unterminated multi-byte UTF8
sequence then libidn may copy data past the buffer into the result.

https://github.com/jabberd2/jabberd2/issues/85

the stringprep functions from libidn require the input to be valid
UTF8

The libidn documentation claims "This function will not read or
write to characters outside that size." about the length of the
buffer that needs to be specified, but this is not true,

Use CVE-2015-2059 for this libidn out-of-bounds read issue. Possibly
it could be argued that this is a borderline case for a CVE. However,
the documentation says "This function will not read or write to
characters outside that size" rather than "If the input is valid
UTF-8, then this function will not read or write to characters outside
that size." If the input is not valid UTF-8, then the function is
entitled to undefined behavior within the bounds of the buffer.

Old thread, but I thought worth mentioning. This was already found by
Sam Varshavchik in 2013:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libidn.general/462

As the CVE is already assigned I don't think this matters too much, but
maybe MITRE wants to reference that.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/