oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: libyaml / YAML-LibYAML DoS

From: Jan Rusnacko <jrusnack () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:17:30 +0200

On 11/28/2014 09:04 PM, cve-assign () mitre org wrote:
This Python code is apparently intended to correspond directly to the
yaml_parser_save_simple_key C code. However, because it's in a
different programming language, we would typically consider it a
separate codebase, eligible for its own CVE IDs. Here, "assert
self.allow_simple_key or not required" is not within the scope of
CVE-2014-9130.

One question is whether identifying a security-relevant DoS caused by
an assert in C code means that there is also a security-relevant DoS
caused by an assert in corresponding Python code. In other words,
should the threat model be considered the same: the assert within
scanner.c might cause an outage of a C application that was intended
to remain available for processing YAML from other clients, and the
assert within scanner.py might cause an outage of a Python application
that was intended to remain available for processing YAML from other
clients? Or should the latter be considered much less plausible? If
the threat model is largely the same, we will assign a second CVE ID
for the scanner.py issue.

Belated ping on this one - since I don`t see a separate CVE assigned
for scanner.py, shall it be tracked under CVE-2014-9130, despite the
above statement that it is not within it`s scope ? Statement on how to
track this would be appreciated.
--
Jan Rusnacko, Red Hat Product Security