oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSL RSA 1024 bits implementation broken?

From: Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 02:30:22 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Pierre Schweitzer wrote:

There appear to have some noise on the Internet regarding a possible
flaw in the 1024 bits RSA implementation in OpenSSL which would allow
bruteforcing the private key in ~20 minutes.

Does anyone has any information about this? The associated pastebin to
the said information is: http://pastebin.com/D8itq6Ff Is this serious?

On the moderated crypto list where I hang out, it's receiving much
attention.  The consensus is that it's likely a buggy compiler or
optimiser that rounded integer division upwards instead of truncating it
as required by the C standard, and that the "discoverer", by refusing to
provide further details, is full of it.

You may be able to search the archives at cryptography () metzdowd com; as I
said it's a moderated list, but full of techie people who really know
their onions.

-- Dave