oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: can we talk about secure time?

From: Richard Johnson <rdump () river com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 07:30:16 -0700

On 2014-12-21 22:51, Hanno Böck wrote:
I perfectly understand that some people need more accuracy than tlsdate
can give. However it's probably rare, right? I don't see any reason why
average consumer hardware (Desktop, smartphone etc.) would have any
problem with the 1-2 sec max inaccuracy of tlsdate.

It's typical to require at least 1/2 second accuracy for log correlation. This is not just for some people, but (for an example) at academic institutions where the staff is running average consumer hardware.

tlsdate is certainly an OK boundary sanity check on more accurate time, or for initial stepping on a new boot or new clock start.

Richard