oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: heap overflow in procmail

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 01:10:42 -0600

On 03/09/14 11:13 PM, Christey, Steven M. wrote:
Kurt,

So this is potentially a very bad issue, so I'm assigning a CVE, sorry
Mitre (safe assumption: they're all tucked away in bed like normal sane
people =).

That's actually an unsafe assumption, which has introduced a vulnerability into your logic.  There are
counter-examples by two different CVE CNA team members in this thread alone.

For additional evidence that counters your assumption, here are a handful of recent oss-security posts by cve-assign
between midnight (Eastern time) and 4 AM.  This list is far from complete.
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/09/02/1
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/3
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/4
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/5
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/14/2
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/14/5
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/15/3

When an issue has been made widely public to the security industry, CNAs are expected to attempt to coordinate more
closely with MITRE before assigning a CVE ID themselves.  This helps to reduce confusion and duplicates.  Anything
posted to oss-security is considered "widely public."

- Steve

Sorry, it was meant tongue in cheek, the main reason I assumed Mitre was
off because it came in relatively not super late in the day and no reply
from Mitre when I noticed it. I also wanted to avoid the notify you guys
then wait to confirm you weren't awake so I could get to bed early
(cause getting to bed early worked out for me today, sigh).

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993