oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [CVE Requests] rsync and librsync collisions

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:12:03 +0400

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Michael Samuel <mik () miknet net> wrote:
Hi,

I think there should be CVEs assigned for this:

rsync: MD5 collision DoS attack or limited file corruption
librsync: MD4 collision file corruption

Note: librsync is not the same code, protocol or maintainer as rsync.

The librsync attack is far easier to perform, since there's no
whole-file checksum and it will simply copy the first instance of a
collision into any place where the second collision is.

The rdiff utility that ships with librsync truncates hashes to 8
bytes, allowing a very fast and efficient birthday attack - so even if
MD4 was replaced attacks would still be possible while the hash is
truncted.  This also affects duplicity - they both use
RS_DEFAULT_STRONG_LEN - so the _librsyncmodule that ships with
duplicity will need recompiling after the fix ships.

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/07/28/1

Hi,

Can you please post at least a PoC or steps that others can use to
reproduce the issues in rsync and librsync ?

IMHO, that would *really* help.

Regards,
  Michael

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.