oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Debian's package "mysql-server" leaks credential information

From: larry Cashdollar <larry0 () me com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 08:16:10 -0400

On Jun 8, 2013, at 7:56 AM, gremlin () gremlin ru wrote:

On 08-Jun-2013 07:43:21 -0400, larry Cashdollar wrote:

According to the bug report details that's a race condition.
A malicious user is using a vulnerability in the way the
installation script handles changing file permissions to disclose
sensitive information.
Yes. And, once again, that's a misconfiguration - the file should
be created as 0600 root:root during installation and only after
that chmod() and chown() may be applied.
I'd agree if this were a configuration file we were talking about,
but it's an installation script.

So what? The installation script may contain the `umask 077` line,
can't it?

Yes, then their would be no bug to exploit.  My assertion is that we are changing an installation script, not a
configuration file. I guess you could argue that the post install script is doing the configuration however.  I guess
it will depend on if issues similar to this one have been assigned CVEs in the past.

Cheers.
Larry

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG key ID: 0xEF3B1FA8, keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net