oss-sec mailing list archives

RE: CVE Requests (maybe): Linux kernel: various info leaks, some NULL ptr derefs

From: "Christey, Steven M." <coley () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:09:52 +0000

This is a major challenge for CVE, but to do bug-based assignments will make CVE too dependent on the amount of
vulnerability details that are available at the time of a CVE request - and those details vary widely.  While it is a
problem for the distros, I have generally had the perspective that it is ultimately their responsibility to track which
portions of a CVE are fixed, and when.

Note - the more fundamental problem here is that CVE is being used much earlier in the disclosure process than it used
to be, and it's basically being used as a universal bug ID.  I strongly encourage the Linux community to consider
adopting their own ID scheme.

I made comments similar to this a couple years ago, but I can't easily find the reference right now.

- Steve