oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: TTY handling when executing code in different lower-privileged context (su, virt containers)

From: vladz <vladz () devzero fr>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 11:21:08 +0100

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:22:37PM +0000, halfdog wrote:
During programming experiments I found some class of vulnerabilities
[1], that seem to be rediscovered again from time to time, but since
attack value is questionable, it was not fixed yet.

Nice.  I was just wondering why the SIGSTOP signal is used here?
Sending a string starting with "exit;" to close the child process also
does the trick, no?  When [1] was posted on the oss list, I wrote this
little PoC [2] to hijacked interactive bash shell opened with "su -
<user>".

I would like to propose following "fix" for this problem: Modification
of man-page of su making this a known problem or feature, not a bug.

Changing the man page is a good idea.  Administrators (good ones) should
never have to open users's interactive shells.  I mean, beside being a
security problem, it's kind of invasion of privacy. ;)

  [1] http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2011/12/20/2
  [2] http://vladz.devzero.fr/svn/codes/bash/dontsu.sh

vladz.