oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: gpw password generator giving short password at low rate

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:08:51 -0500 (EST)

The rarity of an issue does not affect CVE inclusion.

In this case, the product's security feature is not living up to its advertised capability (by generating shorter passwords than expected) so, even if it's not that severe an issue, it's probably still of some importance to some people.

The availability of the software does not directly affect CVE inclusion; if it could be available for people to install on their own systems, then it can be covered by CVE. Obviously this applies to any software that is available for download from the web, whether open or closed source. (I say "does not directly affect CVE inclusion" because CVE cannot keep up with every single product and every single vulnerability due to various limitations - primarily the raw number of vulns that are released every year - so, some products with limited "market share" might not make it into CVE even though they would technically qualify.)

- Steve