oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: gpw password generator giving short password at low rate

From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac () debian org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:24:16 +0100

On mar., 2012-01-17 at 11:17 +0200, Henri Salo wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 09:51:05AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
we were pointed at a bug in gpw (a password generator), which makes it
generate shorter password than required at a rate of ~20 over 1 million.
The bug is at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=651510
(so already public) and I'm wondering if that deserves a CVE:

* gpw seems unmaintained (upstream and in Debian since around 2006)
* I'm not sure people even use it
* people using it interactively will notice the password has the wrong
size

But as it may be used in a script, then it might still be a real issue.

What do people think?

I think this is security issue and should receive CVE. Is this program
used in other distributions we could notify? Has this been fixed in
other versions?

Not that I know of (but I didn't know anything about gpw before reading
that bug report). It should be present in Debian derivatives, at least.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis