oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Wireshark multiple vulnerabilities

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:49:57 -0700

On 01/12/2012 10:55 PM, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:

There are 6 file format crashes here. In the interest of vendors,
which dont always rebase to the newer version, would it be convenient
to split these into 6 CVEs?

I doubt some older versions are affected by only some crashers.

I agree in principle, however in practice this is a lot of work (as you
well know =). I guess my question/concern would be is who does the
research to verify all this, and what if it varies by version (i.e. it
is 6 separate issues in an older version but the newer version combined
some code into a common library for example so it's only a single issue,
but with multiple avenues of attack/etc.). In other words a lot of
potential work.

--

-- Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team