oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Wireshark multiple vulnerabilities

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:11:18 -0700

On 01/11/2012 07:20 PM, Steven M. Christey wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Kurt Seifried wrote:

On 01/11/2012 09:19 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
According to secunia advisory: https://secunia.com/advisories/47494/ :

Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Wireshark, which can be
exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service) and
compromise a user's system.

1) NULL pointer dereference errors when reading certain packet
information can
be exploited to cause a crash.

In this case, if a network monitor can be crashed, an attacker might
be able to launch an attack undetected.  As such, NULL pointer
dereferences and other crashers in security-relevant products often
count for CVEs, so Kurt, please assign one for this.

See http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2011/09/14/9 for
further explanation from me.

- Steve
From what I read the first #1 and #2 (secunia) map to wireshark
wnpa-sec-2012-02.html and wnpa-sec-2012-03.html respectively, so they
should be all good? Or did I misread it (this is entirely possible =).

--

-- Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team