oss-sec mailing list archives

RE: CVE request: is_a() function may allow arbitrary code execution in PHP 5.3.7/5.3.8

From: Zeev Suraski <zeev () zend com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:47:29 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Pierre Joye [mailto:pierre.php () gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:02 PM
To: Stas Malyshev
Cc: Vincent Danen; oss-security () lists openwall com; security () php net
Subject: Re: CVE request: is_a() function may allow arbitrary code execution
in PHP 5.3.7/5.3.8

hi Stas,

I tend to disagree here. One of the CVE goal is not about declaring one or the
other guilty of bad practice(s) but about informing users about security issues
in the software they use and how to act correctly to fix these issues.

There aren't any security issues in PHP in that context.  Assigning a CVE to PHP in that context would create the
impression that there is indeed an issue in PHP here.
It's not a matter of who's 'guilty' in terms of positioning - but in terms of where the actual security issue resides.
And it does not reside in PHP.
So I agree with Stas, it doesn't make sense to have a CVE here.  Otherwise, almost every change we make, including bug
fixes, could somehow result in some faulty piece of code somewhere becoming vulnerable to something.

Zeev