oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: is_a() function may allow arbitrary code execution in PHP 5.3.7/5.3.8

From: Stas Malyshev <smalyshev () sugarcrm com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 02:18:02 -0700

Hi!

On 9/25/11 2:02 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
I tend to disagree here. One of the CVE goal is not about declaring
one or the other guilty of bad practice(s) but about informing users
about security issues in the software they use and how to act
correctly to fix these issues.

The is_a change is typically one of these security issues. While being
a minor one (recommended ini settings or good code practices would
avoid it easily), it is still one. That's why I'd to go with assigning
one and link it to the bug.

I'm concerned that if we do it this way people would take it as "PHP has security bug in is_a and it was fixed in this version, so as long as we run updated version we're OK", not "my code has gaping security hole which by pure luck wasn't exploitable but minor change made it exploitable". If we don't make it crystal clear the latter and not the former is the case, we'd have same problem with 5.4.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/