oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: /bin/su (was: CVE request -- coreutils -- tty hijacking possible in "su" via TIOCSTI ioctl)

From: Nicolas François <nicolas.francois () centraliens net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:49:06 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:49:20AM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Is there actually any serious distro that doesn't use PAM though?
Those #ifdefs to keep old shadow compatibility makes the code rather
ugly and hard to read. Maybe it's time to just rip out the old code
and submit a clean, PAM only su to util-linux.

I still receive bug reports for shadow-utils for the non-PAM variant.
(bug I don't remember if these bugs were reported for su).
In my case, I would prefer to keep the su non-PAM variant as long as I
would support non-PAM variants for the other tools (or as long as I
support su).

Regarding distros without PAM, there might be gentoo to be counted in the
list (although PAM is enabled by default).

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral