oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request -- coreutils -- tty hijacking possible in "su" via TIOCSTI ioctl

From: "Bernhard Rosenkraenzer" <bero () arklinux ch>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:56:58 +0200

On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:55 CEST, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel () suse de> wrote:

The issue also reminds me that there are several su implemenations.
On Fedora and SUSE we have a patched coreutils version, Debian uses
the one from shadow-utils and then there's also a su from
SimplePAMApps, used by e.g. Owl. Of course each one has it's own
quirks and weird features. Does anyone still remember why a
particular implementation was chosen? :-)

In Ark Linux, we switched from the coreutils one to the shadow-utils one about 2 years ago because the shadow-utils one
does what we need (incl. PAM support) without having to port the PAM patch on every new coreutils release.

ttyl
bero