oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Closed list

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:32:29 +0400

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:56:15PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:11:11PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
Benji's trolling does raise a couple real issues.  The private keys and
passphrases of those responding here have now become highly lucrative
targets for attackers.  Hence, everyone on this new list needs to use
good practices to keep their keys, hard drives, and computers safe.
There should probably be some common guidelines for key safety for all
participants.

So would be my work mailbox in previous times.

I guess you are overestimating the value of the information that could
be possibly gained.

Yes, I think folks are overestimating the value of the information that
was on vendor-sec, and I am going to try to reduce that value even
further for the new Linux distros list (such as by pushing discussions
on non-medium severity issues elsewhere, and by limiting the embargo
periods).  I think vendor-sec was primarily a target of attacks as a
challenge, not so much for the value of the information that it actually
carried.

Alexander