oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE

From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel () suse de>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:37:24 +0200

Patrick J. Volkerding wrote:
On 03/31/2011 08:43 AM, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
I'd also
like to see distributions migrating away from /etc/mtab in general,
since /proc/mounts seems like a much better replacement.

I imagine that mount's -f (fake mount by editing mtab) and -n (mount
without editing mtab) options are not going to work if /etc/mtab becomes
a symbolic link to /proc/mounts, so that's liable to break a few things.
  In the long run it does seem like a good plan, but there might be a
few bumps in the road.  I wonder what the rationale was for faking mtab
mounts in the first place?

Our system boot scripts used -n as long as / was mounted read only
and -f to update mtab once / was remounted rw.
Since openSUSE 11.4 /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/self/mounts
which works fine so far AFAIK.

cu
Ludwig

--