oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: PEAR Installer 1.9.1 <= - Symlink Attack

From: Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson <helgith () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:24:48 +0000

Hi,
On 1 Mar 2011, at 09:11, Pierre Joye wrote:

hi,

2011/2/28 Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg () gmail com>:
I'm not familiar with this code or any of the context surrounding this
fix, but it appears to be an incomplete fix.  Checking for existence
of a symlink and then opening the resource leaves open a window during
which a legitimate file can be replaced with a symlink.

Not sure it is fixable, or maybe using a lock on the symbolic link
while fetching its target (to be tested to be sure that such locks
cannot be overridden from shell).

I assume you are referring to the parts for REST.php in the patch in question?
At a second look, that part could do with improvements; I wrote up a function which takes TOCTOU into consideration.
I'll have that patch done by the end of the day.

For other situations I am using tempnam() (via the System class) as those files are only temporary and were being
extracted from compressed archives; The predictability of their end destination where the centre part of the reported
security problem.

- Helgi