oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: PEAR Installer 1.9.1 <= - Symlink Attack

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:11:19 +0100

hi,

2011/2/28 Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg () gmail com>:
I'm not familiar with this code or any of the context surrounding this
fix, but it appears to be an incomplete fix.  Checking for existence
of a symlink and then opening the resource leaves open a window during
which a legitimate file can be replaced with a symlink.

Not sure it is fixable, or maybe using a lock on the symbolic link
while fetching its target (to be tested to be sure that such locks
cannot be overridden from shell).

 Also, I don't see a reason why a hard link couldn't be used for exploitation
instead.

Hard link are not detectable (lstat), they are treated like normal files.

Cheers,
--
Pierre