oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Minor security flaw with pam_xauth

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

----- "Solar Designer" <solar () openwall com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:05:13PM +0100, Tim Brown wrote:
Here's another bug where privileged code isn't checking the return
value from
setuid():

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3028213&group_id=6663&atid=106663

This is fixed in Linux-PAM 1.1.2:

http://git.altlinux.org/people/ldv/packages/?p=pam.git;a=commitdiff;h=06f882f30092a39a1db867c9744b2ca8d60e4ad6

Let's use CVE-2010-3316 for the above flaw.

The same commit also introduces previously-missing privilege switching
into pam_env and pam_mail.  Unfortunately, this pam_env and pam_mail fix
is incomplete: it only switches the fsuid (should also switch fsgid (or
egid) and groups), and it fails to check the return value from setfsuid()
(doing so would require duplicate calls to setfsuid(), like we do in
libtcb, or switching of euid instead - yet it is desirable).

This one is a bit on the tricky side. I'm going to call it "improper
setfsuid use" so we can use just one CVE instead of two (as the flaws are
related):

Use CVE-2010-3430

Steve, feel free to overrule me if MITRE doesn't like this.

Thanks.

--
    JB