oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Minor security flaw with pam_xauth

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:19:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Tim Brown wrote:

I don't think this needs a CVE as I haven't found a useful way to exploit it
but maybe someone on here will spot something I've missed.  Either way, I
would have thought it should be fixed.

If the attacker can execute an 'extra' process in violation of RLIMIT_NPROC, then that would be technically a violation of the *intended* security policy, so it would count for CVE inclusion by itself - even if you can't manipulate the issue for code execution. (Though somehow manipulating the xauth authority file may be fruitful to mess around with the display as root.)

Thoughts?

- Steve