oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Samba symlink 0day flaw

From: Simo Sorce <ssorce () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:43:35 -0500

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 22:05:30 +0100
Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de> wrote:

Hey,
* Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com> [2010-02-05 20:11]:
As many of you have probably seen, there was a supposed Samba 0day
flaw posted to full-disclosure and youtube.

Samba has a response to this:
http://marc.info/?l=samba-technical&m=126539387432412&w=2

I'm not sure if this should get a CVE id. It is documented behavior.
Somewhat unexpected though. I think changing the default is the
right way to go, but it may be more of a hardening measure than a
security fix.

Thoughts Steve?

Given the count of users that are probably affected by this and it
not being documented in e.g. man 5 smb.conf I'd vote for yes! :)

Cheers
Nico

Sorry not clear what would not be documented in smb.conf ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York