oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request? buffer overflow in CIFS in 2.6.*

From: Eugene Teo <eugene () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:41:44 +0800

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Meissner wrote:
Fixes a kmalloc area overflow in CIFS, number of overwritten bytes
is depending on the codepage converted to.

The data seems to come from a remote generated reply blob even, correct
me if I am wrong. :/

Looks like it's part of the session setup. The NativeFileSystem field is
part of the Tree Connect response (TCon for short).

And I wonder if "len*2" is sufficient, can't a UCS -> UTF8 conversion
generate more than 2 byte utf-8 characters for 1 ucs character?

I understand that someone from your side is working on a better patch
for this. Do keep us updated when it goes upstream.

Thanks, Eugene
--
Eugene Teo / Red Hat Security Response Team