oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: code review CVS

From: Vincent Danen <vdanen () linsec ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:13:29 -0700

* [2008-02-25 02:52:37 +0300] Solar Designer wrote:

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:28:36AM +0100, Sebastian Krahmer wrote:
From my view it would be helpful to have some forum/CVS or whatever
where code reviewers can submit the code they already audited along
with remarks/exploits/patches etc.

We don't yet have such a CVS (or similar) repository - and it is not
obvious whether one is needed - but maybe you (and others) could start
by using a namespace on the wiki for this?  The wiki includes support
for file uploads - it's the "Add Images and other files" icon (picture
in a frame) on top of the page edit area.  We have not yet tested this
functionality, though (might need to add a chmod as we're running the
wiki scripts under a dedicated UID and with umask 077).

Obviously, you shouldn't upload entire source trees (tarballs?) in this
way, but remarks, patches, and testcases may be uploaded.  Actually,
the remarks are better edited on the wiki, which provides a structure
(namespaces) and revision control.

That way, we'll see if anyone actually contributes their audit results
in this way.  Then, if there's specific demand for a CVS repository or
whatever, that can be added as well.

I like this idea.  It definitely would be nice to know if the effort in
setting up cvs or svn or whatever would be worthwhile; i.e. if enough
people would use it to make it worth the possible effort/complexity to
maintain it.

To start off, I think the wiki would work quite well.  It probably
wouldn't scale well if it got wildly popular, but if there are only a
few people doing it, then maybe the wiki is all we need.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/