oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: code review CVS

From: Vincent Danen <vdanen () linsec ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:43:17 -0700

* [2008-02-21 08:49:52 +0000] Mark J Cox wrote:

hahah... as Mark can attest, you're not the only one.  I've had to email
him a few times looking for some obscure src.rpm.

We give the full path in our emailed advisories (except for the cases where we are shipping something not open source like java/acroread) but the paths are not in the web based versions. So http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhsa-announce/ since Nov 2007, or for older stuff http://www.redhat.com/archives/enterprise-watch-list/

Once you get a rpm then unpacking it without installing it is easy:
rpm2cpio fn.rpm | cpio --make-directories --extract

And we nearly always ship the pristine upstream tarball along with each patch separately (exception being things like OpenSSL).

This is definately material for a 'how to find out how the vendor fixed this' page.

Looks like Kees beat me to it:

http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/distro-patches

I've added Red Hat to this list based on the above info.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/