Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: TLS cipher strength diffs between nmap and SSL Labs

From: <Matthew.Snyder () mt com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:44:02 +0000

The definition of “Strong” in the instance of NMAP comes from the definitions as provided by OpenSSL via their
configurations.  If you enable “strong” ciphers, the list provided below are included in the configured cipher streams.
 These are denoted purely by the amount of effort necessary to produce a collision.  SSLLabs focuses on the function of
the cipher, and known vulnerabilities and risks.  Using this detail, SSLLabs knows that there exists a risk with the
CBC format of ciphering – and suggests that these are not necessarily as strong as Counter mode ciphering (GCM, CCM,
etc).

Regards
Matt