Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Question regrading nmap installation as non-administrator

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:07:25 -0500

Marjan,

Thanks for asking. Most of Nmap's advanced features require raw packet
sending and sniffing, which is provided by Npcap. Npcap is a kernel-mode
driver, and so it requires admin access to install. Some features of Nmap
can still be used if Npcap is not present: -sT, -sV, reverse DNS, and most
NSE scripts.

For users who want to install Nmap without Npcap, the best way is to
download the ZIP file of Nmap binaries instead of the installer. These can
be extracted and used directly from the extraction directory. If Npcap is
installed later or by some other process, Nmap will find and use it. More
information is available here:
https://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-zip

Dan

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 7:20 PM Marjan Marzban <