Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: npcap uninstalled and all is well!

From: cmwDev <info () canadianmicroworks ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 14:35:13 -0700 (MST)

uninstall programs from all (mostly) programs seldom seem to remove reg
entries. They put them in, they should take them out too. But thats just me.

I had major problems when I took out Winpcap and put in npcap. It would work
ok with WireShark but not my little custom program I am working on to
replace my router log for my old Linksys. I had to uninstall and re-install
npcap several times to  get it to function properly and there were a ton of
device entries for network interfaces that were duplicates and I had to
manually remove them.

When I went to run WireShark the other day, it told me there was an update
to npcap and I selected to install that (using the WS stuff) and it removed
the old version but it failed to install from WS, so I went to remove the
old one which was already gone and then download the new npcap and install
it "manually". I'm afraid to go look because I'm sure there are still dups
left over from the failed install.

Anyway, I have the hex dumps appearing now in my custom program, based on
the samples. I can choose the interface correctly, and I can start getting
hex dumps. I don't want or need all of the extra stuff from what WS
displays, since I am only looking for the first incoming packet, and I don't
care about the actual data within the packet. Just the time, date, incoming
or outgoing, and the IP's involved. Still looking through the various API's
to find that info out, not sure all of what I need is within the npcap
stuff, I may have to go rob some of the WS API functions but... learning
everything involved is quite the challenge.

Glad you got your problem sorted out though.

Gary

--
Sent from: http://nmap-dev.996309.n3.nabble.com/