Nmap Development mailing list archives

npcap uninstalled and all is well!

From: "Mike ." <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:13:44 +0000

so another update with the nmap/library saga. we have success! i can use nmap at the libray for now (but i notice the
filters are REALLY good here on the router). but it works and that is all i care about. but i did finally scrap npcap.
that seemed to be the culprit. the minute i got rid of that we had no problems. i MIGHT install the lastest version, i
have yet to have any luck with npcap EVER. but i must ask this to all you coders, esp windows. why when you make
uninstall logs and creators do you ALWAYS leave behind services in the registry!? i dont care about shell bags and
MUIs. i am talking about this as it relates to npcap >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\npcap]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,6e,00,70,00,63,00,61,00,70,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

(and no, rebooting doesnt delete this)

yes i know all it takes it a right click to the registry or even an sc delete, but why do your uninstalls not touch
these? the other issue is they ALWAYS leave behind legacy drivers that are almost IMPOSSIBLE to uninstall even from the
registry? why does one need elevated permissions to remove a ROOT/LEGACY_DEVICE? and why are they even needed? anyway,
i will let you know if i have any more nmap issues

thanks