Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nping sending ARPs 15.6ms apart

From: Joseph Beckenbach via dev <dev () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:04:38 +0000

Hello,

We would like to be able to send directed ARPs continuously at 2ms intervals (500pps) for a specific test, and we like
nping since it is usable on the command line for automation.

However, we have observed that when we try to send directed ARPs at this rate, wireshark shows the ARPs coming out at
intervals of 15.6ms. This seems to only happen on Windows 10, and on Windows 7 and Ubuntu linux it sends them out
correctly at 2ms intervals. I have tried various methods of Windows 10 optimization that I found on Google:

  *   Close peer to peer update process
  *   Disable QoS bandwidth limiting in Group Policy setting
  *   Disable Window Auto-Tuning
  *   Disable Large Send Offload
  *   Update Network Drivers
  *   Windows 7 compatibility mode

None of these have worked.

I have tried adjusting the delay down to 1ms and it still sends them out at 15.6ms intervals. However, when I lower it
to 0.9ms, it suddenly jumps to 25,000 pps.
Sometimes I can see short bursts of 2ms intervals, but mostly I see 15.6ms. I also saw it work *once* correctly at 2ms,
but when I tried again it was 15.6ms again.

This is the command that I am using:

nping --arp --dest-mac 00:80:f4:02:f7:69 --arp-target-mac 00:80:f4:02:f7:69 --arp-target-ip 192.168.0.78 --quiet -c 0
--delay 2ms 192.168.0.78

I have also tried using -rate 500.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe
Joseph Beckenbach
Integration/Build Engineer
Innovation & Technology
Industry Business
Schneider Electric

D  1-978-975-9086
E  joseph.beckenbach () schneider-electric com<mailto:joseph.beckenbach () schneider-electric com>

Boston One Campus
800 Federal Street
Andover, MA 01810
United States