Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [ncat][RFC] Ability to control hostname resolution for proxy destinations

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 00:13:08 -0700

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 02:06:07PM -0700, nnposter wrote:
In connect mode, currently all proxy destinations are directly passed onto
the remote proxy server, without trying to resolve them locally. This
behavior has raised some concerns.

I am proposing a new ncat option that provides control over whether these
hostnames are resolved by the remote proxy server or locally, by Ncat
itself.

Usage:

ncat   ...   --proxy-dns local | remote | both | none

More at https://github.com/nmap/nmap/pull/1439
Please review the proposal and comment.

curl uses different URL schemes to control whether name resolution is
local or remote: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html#-x
socks4, socks5: local
socks4a, socks5h: remote

But personally I've never liked that setup. I almost always want remote
resolution and have to remind myself not to use the versions that will
leak DNS. And of course it doesn't work for http or https proxies.