Nmap Development mailing list archives

Spammers on the Nmap dev list :(

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:34:17 -0800

Hi everyone.  I just wanted to note that some worthless spammers joined the
dev list in recent months and respond to some messages direct to the sender
with a flurry of porno spams (with pictures) pretending to be horny women.
I received more than 20 of them in response to the traceroute timing
message I sent yesterday, and I've heard complaints about them from many
other dev list members as well.  Most of the spams are from .xyz domain
addresses.

We don't have a solution just yet.  It's not as easy as kicking them off
the list since they aren't subscribed using the addresses they spam from.
So we don't know who to ban.  And it is even possible they are scraping the
data from some public archive or other.  But I wanted to let people know
that we're aware of the problem and trying to figure out solutions.  If you
learn anything about the spammers, or have any ideas for combating them,
let me know!

Cheers,
Fyodor