Nmap Development mailing list archives

Updated compiling ncat static executable experience

From: A G <thegert87 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 13:29:59 -0400

Hello Everyone,

First and foremost I'm not a developer, but I've found the following to be
useful for building ncat as a static executable and thought that I would
share.

I was following the directions at secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Ncat_Portable and at
vicidi.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/building-ncat-portable-for-windows/ and
from an nmap-dev mail archive - http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/36

Some of the following items need updated to allow for a less troublesome
build.

   - Use the 1.0.X branch of OpenSSL - that results in building
   libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib.
   - The OpenSSL 1.1.X branch does not build  libeay or ssleay. It builds
      libcrypto.lib and another file that I don't remember the name of.
      - Adding the libcrypto.lib and the other file to the project's
      (Ncat's project properties > Linker > Input > Additional Dependencies)
      resulted in additional errors upon ncat building.

Follow directions here:
https://vicidi.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/building-ncat-portable-for-windows/

If that site is not available...

   - Open Nmap solution in Visual Studio from mswin32\nmap.sln and switch
   the build configuration to “Ncat Static” like so:

   - Right click on Solution “nmap” in the Solution Explorer sidebar and
   choose “Configuration Manager“.

   - Switch the active solution configuration to “Ncat Static“. Check the
   “Build” check box for project “liblua“. Make sure that the nsock, nbase and
   ncat projects have switched to the “Static” configuration also. Then close
   the “Configuration Manager”.

   - Right click on the ncat project and select “Set as StartUp Project“.

   - Right click on the “nsock” project in Visual Studio and click
   “Properties“. In “Configuration Properties” > “General” > “C/C++” >
   “General“, in “Additional Include Directories“, add path
   “..\mswin32\OpenSSL\include“

   - Right click on the “ncat” project in Visual Studio and click
   “Properties“. In “Configuration Properties” > “General” > “C/C++” >
   “General“, in “Additional Include Directories“, add path
   “..\mswin32\OpenSSL\include” and “..\liblua

   - Right click on the “ncat” project in Visual Studio and click
   “Properties“. In “Configuration Properties” > “General” > “Linker” >
   “General“, in “Additional Library Directories“, add path
   “..\mswin32\OpenSSL\lib“

   - Expand the “ncat” project, double click the file “ncat_ssl.c” and
   comment out the line “#include <openssl/applink.c>“

Also I followed directions (specifically noted in bold):
seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/36

<http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/36>
Opened nmap.sln in VC++ and changed active solution to ncat static.
liblua is unchecked but ncat seems to need it, so checked again. Added
liblua's dir to include dirs in ncat project.

* Also changed liblua's codegeneration default from /MD to /MT (without
this change it will showconflicts at build time)*
.
Hope this helps folks.

Regards.
Alex