Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack telnet module

From: nnposter <nnposter () users sourceforge net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:38:40 -0600

On 6/15/17 4:29 PM, bgqueengeek wrote:
Still not successful yet and I upgraded my nmap version.

Using the following syntax to attempt a single-threaded attempt:

nmap -p 23 --max-parallelism 1 --script telnet-brute --script-args
brute.passonly=true,passdb=testPasswords.txt <ip addy>

--max-parallelism is controlling the scanner itself, not the
brute-forcing worker threads. Add the following script arguments instead:

brute.threads=1
brute.start=1

PORT   STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open  telnet
| telnet-brute:
|   Accounts: No valid accounts found
|_  Statistics: Performed 1 guesses in 164 seconds, average tps: 0.0

Something is seriously not working here. A single guess should not take
almost three minutes.

Problem is I know the lone password in the testPasswords.txt file is the
valid password.

Checking the brute NSE library page for more ideas, but open to any.

This is hard to diagnose without more data. Can you provide a
pcap/pcapng of a single nmap run against the target together with nmap
output, while making sure that you are using the thread settings from
above and enabling debug logging with -ddd?

nmap -ddd -n -Pn -p23 --script telnet-brute --script-args
brute.passonly=true,brute.threads=1,brute.start=1,passdb=testPasswords.txt
<ip addy>

Feel free to send the two unedited files to me privately.

Cheers,
nnposter