Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack telnet module

From: bgqueengeek <bgqueengeek () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:16:32 -0700 (MST)

David; Thanks very much.

Unfortunately, I am not able to get this to work. First off I cannot find
where the exact requirements are for the text file. I have a plain-text list
of passwords, that are separated by CR LF.

Additionally, I tried this script call with no user list - it appeared to
faileto test the password. I think called a userdb file that was empty (just
a CR LF)  - again it failed.

The server (a printer in this case) has a banner and then sends "Password:".

Here's the chatter:
nmap -p 23 --script telnet-brute --script-args
unpwdb.timelimit=0,userdb=testUsers.txt,passdb=testPasswords.txt <ip address
goes here>

Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-14 16:11 Pacific Daylight
Time

Nmap scan report for 10.77.166.208
Host is up (0.17s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open  telnet
| telnet-brute:
|   Accounts: No valid accounts found
|   Statistics: Performed 2 guesses in 1 seconds, average tps: 2.0
|_  ERROR: Password prompt encountered
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.77 seconds

The password in the file is valid, so I should see a success here. Any idea
what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you so much,

Beth