Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Extending NMap UDP Payloads

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 21:42:46 -0600

Tim,

You can definitely do this, but only one payload will be sent during the
port scan phase. If you want to change that payload, which is used to
elicit an application response to determine if the port is open, then make
the change to the nmap-payloads file. If you want to leave that probe, but
use a different one for version detection (which can confirm that a port is
open instead of just open|filtered), then add a Probe line to
nmap-service-probes.

Supporting multiple payloads would be an interesting idea. We'd have to
decide whether to send additional ones after a full timeout of the first
probe or after a shorter time, and whether to increase the number of
retries based on the number of payloads available.

Dan