Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Issue regarding nmap-payloads - UDP services still showing as "open|filtered" when a payload is added to evoke a reply

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:18:04 -0500

Stuart,

If Nmap correctly sends the payload, then there are only a few
possibilities:

The response may be misaddressed. This could happen if the payload contains
a port number to which the service will respond which is different than the
source address of the probe.

The service might not be responding, but you say that is not the case.

The response may be blocked by something like a firewall or IPS.

Or there may be a bug in Nmap. Providing output from -d2 --packet-trace
would be helpful to diagnose.

Dan

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Stuart Duncan <stoobmeister () gmail com>