Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Arabic translation for nmap-man.xml

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:42:48 -0600

Mohammad,

Thanks for taking the time to work on this! I don't have experience working
with right-to-left (RTL) languages, but it seems there would be three
places that could require some extra work to make it happen:

1. Editor. You will have to use a plaintext editor that supports RTL
editing. My own preferred editor, Vim, claims to support Arabic:
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/arabic.html I'm sure there are others.

2. XML. It appears that the Docbook XML format supports RTL languages by
putting the dir="rtl" attribute into any element that contains RTL text.
This ought to only be necessary at the highest-level element, using
dir="ltr" to override when necessary.

3. Stylesheets. The Docbook XSL stylesheets are used to convert the XML
into a couple different formats. Hopefully these are aware of the dir
attribute and will translate that into the appropriate markup. Certainly
the HTML output that is used on nmap.org will be capable of presenting the
text properly.

4. Nroff. It looks like most nroff viewers (primarily the "man" command)
may not support RTL languages. I haven't checked thoroughly, though. At the
least, we should look at how Red Hat or Debian packages for multilingual
support do things.

I think that if you can get 1 and 2 working, you should just jump in to the
translation effort. The others are technical challenges that we can work on
overcoming as we come to them. I don't want to discourage you at all, since
Arabic is such a global language that is a big gap in our translations.

Thanks again for offering to undertake this!

Dan