Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap OS database missing fingerprints

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 01:22:18 -0700

On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 03:28:35PM +0100, Craig Smith wrote:
I have a question I was hoping someone could answer (if not then please
indicate where I can receive an answer).

I have discovered that the Nmap OS database has some fingerprints missing for
OS versions. For example, Apple iOS version 7.1.2 and 9.3.2 are missing.
Basically my question is to do with the reason why these OS versions are
missing fingerprints in the Nmap-OS-DB. Have they not yet been added/nobody has
submitted a fingerprint for these OS versions? Or, are the fingerprints for
such versions as iOS 9.3.2 not distinct enough from existing Apple iOS
fingerprints stored within Nmap-OS-DB?

It's because those versions didn't exist at the time of the most recent
DB update, or nobody has submitted fingerprints for them yet. When a new
version has the same fingerprint as an old version, the old
fingerprint's description gets updated.

(From the analysis of Nmap fingerprints that I've executed against iOS 9.3.2 it
would appear that there are enough unique fields within the fingerprint to
distinguish this fingerprint from other existing fingerprints within the
Nmap-OS-DB).

Submit your new fingerprints at
https://nmap.org/cgi-bin/submit.cgi?new-os