Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap OS database missing fingerprints

From: Craig Smith <smogsweb () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 15:28:35 +0100

Hello,

I have a question I was hoping someone could answer (if not then please
indicate where I can receive an answer).

I have discovered that the Nmap OS database has some fingerprints missing
for OS versions. For example, Apple iOS version 7.1.2 and 9.3.2 are
missing. Basically my question is to do with the reason why these OS
versions are missing fingerprints in the Nmap-OS-DB. Have they not yet been
added/nobody has submitted a fingerprint for these OS versions? Or, are the
fingerprints for such versions as iOS 9.3.2 not distinct enough from
existing Apple iOS fingerprints stored within Nmap-OS-DB?

(From the analysis of Nmap fingerprints that I've executed against iOS
9.3.2 it would appear that there are enough unique fields within the
fingerprint to distinguish this fingerprint from other existing
fingerprints within the Nmap-OS-DB).

Thanks.