Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Tudor's Status Report - #17 of 17

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 00:04:50 -0700

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Tudor-Emil COMAN <
tudor_emil.coman () cti pub ro> wrote:

I updated the guide with the version of Nmap I used for the scans.

Thanks Tudor!  Good stuff.  I especially like the graphs showing  how
--min-hostgroup size and --min-rate value affect total scan time, and also
the one showing the accuracy dropoff when --min-rate was set too high.  A
graph showing accuracy changes (based on total open ports) for the
--max-retries testing would have been nice too.  You mentioned that
"scanning a responsive network with the default value increases accuracy by
very little for a high performance cost", but then only provided data
relating to performance.

Anyway, hopefully this guide will be just the start of what we can do with
more empirical Internet scanning research :)

Cheers,
Fyodor