Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug with NMAP?

From: Christoph Gruber <list () guru at>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 04:22:04 +0200

Put in the whole network as a target, then nmap will bring a list of all open ports on all hosts alive.

--
Christoph Gruber

Am 03.05.2016 um 17:20 schrieb Tom Jackson <navyjax2 () aol com>:

Hi, NMap,

So I downloaded and installed NMap onto a Windows 10 environment - no "targets" populated into the dropdown in the
provided GUI, and when I did a scan, it said a target was required.  Per your documentation, it says the loopback
address of 127.0.0.1 is not an option from a previous known bug, so just how am I supposed to scan a network when it
can't even detect a target to scan in the first place?

If I put in my router's IP, it just comes back with a bunch of  port numbers with an unknown state.  A network
scanner should bring back all of the IP addresses it is connected to.  This is a port scanner and should be
advertised as such - this is not a network mapper., which should be able find all network objects first, then the
devices connected to their ports.

Sincerely,
Thomas Jackson