Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: resuming scan

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 09:43:09 -0500

Gary,

Nmap scans targets in groups called "hostgroups" and writes output to a
file when all of the hosts in one hostgroup have finished scanning. The
size of a hostgroup depends on several factors including:

* Duration of the scan (first hostgroup is usually smaller in order to give
results sooner)
* Number of total hosts scanned
* Timing template (-T option)
* Value of --max-hostgroup or --min-hostgroup option

If you have a scan with lots of scan phases (like -A, which includes port
scan, version scan, NSE script scan, OS detection, and traceroute), then it
can take a while for a hostgroup to finish. You can get results sooner with
a small --max-hostgroup value, but it can slow down the whole scan by using
less parallelism. You can also set a --host-timeout value to simply drop
results from hosts that are slowing you down.

Dan