Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack revived

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 07:49:40 -0600

Ithilgore,

This is exciting news! For me, Ncrack's primary use has been as an SSH
brute-forcer, since NSE doesn't have that capability. I think it's greatest
strength going forward as part of the Nmap Project will be its
single-purpose design: NSE may support more protocols, but it has these
primary weaknesses:

1. A brute-force NSE script stops a network scan until it completes. This
means that Nmap's primary purpose is hindered in some way.

2. A brute NSE script can only handle as many hosts at a time as the
current hostgroup size. At the moment, NSE parallelization isn't the most
intelligent and probably under-utilizes the network.

I think Ncrack could be improved by deliberately addressing these
deficiencies in NSE. One option would be an RPC listener of some sort for a
running Ncrack process to accept new targets. This would let us make a NSE
script to pass along targets as discovered, letting the Nmap scan continue
while Ncrack handles the brute-forcing, maybe even on a different computer.
I'm not familiar enough with Ncrack's architecture to know whether it would
easily support a pipelined approach (different targets starting at
different times) but it would at least have a better chance of batching in
an appropriate size group.

Dan

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Fotis Hantzis <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>