Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fun story from service fingerprint integration

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:53:13 -0700

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 05:08:02PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
Hey all,

So I was busily working through the service fingerprint submissions when I came
across a previously-unrecorded web server. On an Intelbras home router in
Brazil, a lightweight TLS implentation called axTLS is being used along with
its embedded web server, axhttpd. When I add service fingerprints, I always
search for the author or vendor of the software to make a CPE entry. While
checking out the Contact Us page [1], I recognized a name from Nmap's history:
Doug Hoyte [2].

The committers file says Doug "has his handiwork throughout the Nmap codebase.
He has worked on almost every subsystem." I know of him primarily through his
work with service fingerprint integration, so this was a fun meta-loop.

Oh wow. It was Doug's blog posts on service integration that inspired me
to write my own highlights posts.

http://hcsw.org/blog.pl?a=37&b=37
"The HTTPOptions probe successfully telnets into a PRICOM print server."
"Notice the redirect to http://(null)/config/log_off_page.htm"
"Close but not quite HTTP."