Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:13:06 +1100

    > Though if someone has any good evidence that v120_xp is just as
    good as v120 for the modern Windows users, that would definitely
    change the calculation.

    Yes it’s true that setting v120_xp switches to the older Windows
    SDK. But it’s not the case that the “newer API” has bug fixes. The
    Windows SDK is basically just a huge collection of header files.
    The WIN32 API is baked into Windows. So no matter what SDK you
    use, your exe still calls the same functions exported from
    KERNEL32.dll for example. The newer SDK merely has new stuff in
    the headers (eg. function declarations).

That's good info and we enabled v120_xp for 6.49BETA5. Has anyone tried this version on Windows XP? Please let us know if it worked!

I installed 6.49BETA5 on XPsp3 and it all seems good. Installs fine. nmap runs fine. Thanks for listening.