Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap scanning of IPv6 hosts

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 09:22:40 -0800

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:23:49AM -0800, Craig Miller wrote:

On 15-12-30 11:07 AM, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 08:55:59AM -0800, Craig Miller wrote:
It would be nice if nmap supported the MLD/ff02::1 approach natively, as the
brute force method is not really practical for IPv6. I am hoping to start a
discussion in order to further improve nmap.
If you use the newtargets script argument, the discovered addresses will
be added to the target list and scanned.

nmap -6 -F -v --script-args newtargets --script targets-ipv6-multicast-mld
Thanks David,

I will work through getting the targets-ipv6-multicast-mld script running.
Perhaps there is a ubuntu/debian package which the casual user of nmap can
use to install the script.

But the reason I was requesting that IPv6 scanning using the ff02::1 method
be integrated natively in nmap is to make it available for the casual user
of nmap. I have used nmap and found it quite useful for over 13 years, and
never ran a nse script. I suspect there is a large community of nmap users
who are like me.

Having native support within nmap would reach a much larger audience.

Maybe I don't understand you. The scripts *are* part of Nmap. They are
included in the Ubuntu/Debian packages. You don't have to install
anything separately. Just try running the example command line I showed.

There are other IPv6 discovery scripts you might want to try.
nmap --script-help 'targets-ipv6-*'
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-map4to6.html
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-echo.html
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-invalid-dst.html
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-mld.html
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-slaac.html
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-wordlist.html

A ton of Nmap functionality is implemented through the scripting engine
these days. If you've even run -sV, you've run a script.