Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: probes vs payloads?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:13:50 -0600

Mike,

As a general rule, the more frequently or easily a probe will be sent, the
more careful we must be that it doesn't have side effects. DHCP probes in
particular are tricky because many or most of them have the side effect of
requesting an address lease from the server. A script may follow up with a
subsequent message releasing that lease, but UDP payloads and service
probes don't have that ability. So to summarize:

* UDP payloads are only required to get *some* sort of response from the
target service (even a simple error response). They should be very
generic-looking since they get sent for all UDP scans that don't include
--data-length 0. We have some commented out because they set off default
SNORT rules.

* Service probes should be crafted to get a wide variety of responses from
different implementations of a protocol. They can be a little more unusual
(some contain the string "Nmap", for instance) since a version scan is not
stealthy by any means. They should not have side effects and should not
intentionally try to crash a target service.

* Scripts have the most freedom, because they can be categorized
"intrusive" or "dos", though the most useful scripts are more careful than
that. They can introduce state changes on the target, since they can send
follow-up messages to reverse the changes in many cases.

Dan